2014 Tournament Details
The Boston Park League hosted the 15th Annual Dick Clegg – Howie Stein Golf Tournament on Monday, July 28, 2014 at the Easton Country Club. The Boston Park League named the Annual Golf Tournament in memory of Dick & Howie in 2000. With rain showers, we credit all the golfers who committed to playing, and showed up in support of the BPL. At 9:30 am the sun broke through the clouds and we had beautiful weather the entire day. It’s hard to figure that 25-30 miles away, Revere, was dealing with a tornado at the exact same time.
There were 66 golfers ready to go at game time. The golfers enjoyed a continental breakfast upon arrival, an Italian buffet at the conclusion of their round, prizes were presented for 1st, 2nd, & 3rd place, along with closest to the pin and longest drive. We concluded with a raffle that included 4 monster seats to a Red Sox game, an autographed Jon Lester game shirt (who was still a member of the Red Sox at the time but traded 3 days later to the Oakland A’s), and a Dustin Pedroia autographed baseball, all donated by the Red Sox Foundation.
- 1st place at 13 under – Norm Govoni, Scooter Govoni, Greg Dowd, & Dan Donato
- 2nd place at 12 under – Rich Clegg, Ron Santos, Don Santos, & Dave Hodgson
- 3rd place at 11 under – Jason Santos, Jason Converse, Jeff McCarthy, & Steve McCarthy
- Longest Drive – Greg Dowd
- Closest to the Pin – Pat O’Brien
View the 2014 Dick Clegg – Howie Stein Golf Tournament Photo Album.
The Tournament Committee:
- Greg Digirolamo, Tournament Chairman
- Walt Bentson, President
- Walt Mortimer, Secretary Treasurer
This was our main fundraiser for 2014, so thanks for your support.
About Our Honorees:
Dick Clegg passed away in December 1999. He started umpiring in 1967, worked his way up through high school, to the college level, and into the Park League. He and his partner Jim McNally quickly became the best the league had to offer. Dick umpired a full college spring schedule, traveling all over New England. In 1985 he became the BPL Umpire in Chief, and held that position for the next 14 years. He was named Umpire in Chief of the Cape Cod League in 1998. A past President of the Eastern Mass. Baseball Umpires Association, his dedication to baseball and umpiring was exemplary. He also loved playing golf. with his son Rich. Dick was elected to the BPL Hall of Fame in 2000.
Howie Stein passed away in March 2000. Howie was not an athlete, but one of the most dedicated individuals to amateur baseball in the City of Boston. His love for the game brought him to Cleveland Circle back in 1968 where he met Jerry McCarthy, manager of the Wolf Club, and helped out with the team. In 1976 he joined Bill Mahoney’s Mary Anne’s Club, He would take a batting helmet through the stands for donations to pay for equipment. He announced the players. He became General Manager of the highly successful Larkin Club, winning 3 straight championships. He was the little guy with the big voice. Howie was inducted into the BPL Hall of Fame in 2000, along with Dick.
2014 Tournament Sponsors:
- ADSL (All Dorchester Sports League)
- Atty Patrick J. Kelleher & Associates, Hanover, Ma.
- Boston Padres
- Boston Parks & Recreation Department
- Brown Rudnick LLP – Marty Nastasia
- Cannon Club
- Cypress Group – Sean Fay
- George, Pat, & Doug MacNeil – HOF 1997
- Gloria & Phil Clegg
- Grossman Marketing
- In memory of the Larkin Club – Tony Langone – HOF 2006
- In memory of Joe Mackey – HOF 2000
- In memory of Edgar Grossman – HOF 1999
- Leo Smith – HOF 1992
- Marilyn & Dr. Bob Wilkinson – HOF 1993
- Massachusetts Baseball Coaches Association
- Mike Finn – Umpire 2013
- No Raintouts, Inc. – Walt Bentson
- Old Dorchester Post – American Legion #65
- Palmer Club
- R.T Austin Construction – Bob Austin
- Reading Trophy & Shirt Co. – Tom O’Connor
- Sean P. Flannery, Financial Advisor – Ameriprise Financial
- South Shore Baseball Umpires Association
- Sue Clegg
- The Baseball Tavern at Fenway Park
- The Govoni Family
- Terry Govoni & Family
- TJO Sports
- Tobin Harvey – HOF 2003
- Towne Club
- Walt Bentson, President BPL – HOF 2005
- Yawkey Foundation
* The BPL sincerely thanks you for your continued support
Full details and photos from the 2013 Dick Clegg – Howie Stein Golf Tournament.
Three teams tied with 11 under par. Placement was determined with a card off:
- First Place – Jason Santos, Jason Converse, Jeff McCarthy, & Matt Rossini
- Second Place – Rich Clegg, Dave Hodgson, Ron Santos, & Don Santos
- Third Place – Bob Johnson, Bobby Joyce, & Eric Turgeon Closest to the Pin – Mike Roccia Longest Drive – Rick Clegg
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!