support our sponsor
The Yawkey Foundation (found on Twitter at @yawkeyfdns and on Facebook) is proud to support the Boston Park League, perpetuating a legacy of love for baseball and everything that the good of the game provides to players and fans in communities across Boston. View Photos from the 2022 BPL Hall of Fame Dinner!
Did you know?
The Boston Park League is the oldest amateur baseball league in the United States, founded in 1929. We hope you’ll join us on the ballfields, whether as a player, manager, or one of the thousands of spectators who’s watched Park League games for 88 years.
- Ted Williams (1946) and Mark McGwire (1984) hit home runs in Boston Park League exhibitions games.
- The Leverett Connector & Tobin Bridge are named after Gov. Leverett Saltonstall & Mayor Tobin. In 1941, they pitched vs. each other.
- In 1973, the BPL introduced the designated hitter rule to amateur ball. This was such big news, that CBS TV in New York came to cover it.
- Local media used to refer to the Boston Park League as the “Park Loop.”
- While the Park League began play in 1929, it did not play under lights until 1961.
- BPL Vice President Franz Strassmann has appeared in many movies, including The Box with Cameron Diaz, and as a Gotham City police officer in Dark Knight Rises. Shockingly, he hasn’t appeared in any baseball movies yet.
Read Our Stories
- All Post
- Frontpage Article
It doesn’t take long to identify Josh Báez on a baseball field or to figure out why he’s the most…
Scholarship awards of $35,000 per year for first-generation students attending private Massachusetts colleges, plus mentoring & enrichment funding The Yawkey…
The Boston Padres are looking to rebound in 2020. After a dismal start to the 2019 season which saw the…
Photo: John Teehan and Greg Tobin pitching for the Harwich Mariners in the Cape Cod League. TJO Sports clinched their…
End of Content.