2017 Tournament Details
The Boston Park League will host the 18th Annual Dick Clegg – Howie Stein Golf Tournament on Monday, July 31, 2017 with a 9:30AM start at the Easton Country Club. (Registration is at 8:30AM). The Boston Park League named the Annual Golf Tournament in memory of Dick & Howie in 2000.
Entry fee is $125.00, which includes a continental breakfast, green fees, cart, prizes, and a buffet lunch. Register to Golf.
Tees and greens sponsorships are available for $125.00. A sign will be placed out on the golf course, and your name will be carried on our web site for the next year. Become a Sponsor.
To register or sponsor a hole, please make check payable to the Boston Park League, and mail with forms to Walt Mortimer, 3 Strathmore Circle, Braintree, MA. 02184.
A shotgun start, Florida-style best-ball format will be used. A limit of 100 golfers will be in effect. Four players to a team. Singles are welcomed and will be placed. All current and former players, umpires, and friends of the Park League are welcome.
Team prizes for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place finishes. Prizes will also be presented for the longest drive and closest to the pin.
Sponsors – Thank You!!
ADSL (All Dorchester Sports League) – Jim Cody
Boston Padres – Ed Neal
Boston Parks & Recreation Department
Cannon Club – Mike Aiena
Cypress Group – Sean Fay
Gloria & Phil Clegg
Grossman Marketing – Mary Ellen Grossman & Franz Strassman
Harvey Soolman, HOF 2015
In Memory of Joe Mackey HOF 2000 – Toby Harvey HOF 2003
In memory of Nancy Mortimer
Jim, Margo, & Maureen Halton
Marilyn & Bob Wilkinson HOF 1993
Mike Finn, BPL & CBUANE Umpire
Norm & Terry Govoni & family
Old Dorchester Post, American Legion #65
Pat, George, & Doug MacNeil HOF 1997
Palmer Club – JP Songin
Scott “Scooter” Govoni HOF 2002
TJO Sports -Terence O’Mally & Bob Johnson
Towne Club – Grant Bowen & Mike Stefaniak
Walt Bentson, BPL President, HOF 2005
The Tournament Committee:
- Greg Digirolamo, Tournament Chairman
- Walt Bentson, President
- Walt Mortimer, Secretary Treasurer
About Our Honorees:
Dick Clegg passed away in December 1999. He started umpiring in 1967, worked his way up through high school, to the college level, and into the Park League. He and his partner Jim McNally quickly became the best the league had to offer. Dick umpired a full college spring schedule, traveling all over New England. In 1985 he became the BPL Umpire in Chief, and held that position for the next 14 years. He was named Umpire in Chief of the Cape Cod League in 1998. A past President of the Eastern Mass. Baseball Umpires Association, his dedication to baseball and umpiring was exemplary. He also loved playing golf. with his son Rich. Dick was elected to the BPL Hall of Fame in 2000.
Howie Stein passed away in March 2000. Howie was not an athlete, but one of the most dedicated individuals to amateur baseball in the City of Boston. His love for the game brought him to Cleveland Circle back in 1968 where he met Jerry McCarthy, manager of the Wolf Club, and helped out with the team. In 1976 he joined Bill Mahoney’s Mary Anne’s Club, He would take a batting helmet through the stands for donations to pay for equipment. He announced the players. He became General Manager of the highly successful Larkin Club, winning 3 straight championships. He was the little guy with the big voice. Howie was inducted into the BPL Hall of Fame in 2000, along with Dick.
- 1st place – Scooter Govoni, Dave MacTavish, Steve Smith, & Chris Plant
- 2nd place – Rich Clegg, Ron Santos, Dave Hodgson, & Don Santos
- Closest to the Pin (women) – Mary Leonard
- 1st place – Dave Liffers, Jake Urso, Dana Hansen, & Frank Tierney – 13 under par
- 2nd place – Matt Lipsett, Ken Kozak, Sean Hudon, & Josh Tobin – 10 under par
- 3rd place – Rich Clegg, Ron Santos, Joe Ryan, & Dave Hodgson – 9 under par
- Longest Drive (women) – Mary Leonard
- Longest Drive (men) – Rich Clegg
- Closest to the Pin – Joe Cacciatore
- 1st place at 13 under – Norm Govoni, Scooter Govoni, Greg Dowd, & Dan Donato
- 2nd place at 12 under – Rich Clegg, Ron Santos, Don Santos, & Dave Hodgson
- 3rd place at 11 under – Jason Santos, Jason Converse, Jeff McCarthy, & Steve McCarthy
- Longest Drive – Greg Dowd
- Closest to the Pin – Pat O’Brien
Three teams tied with 11 under par. Placement was determined with a card off:
- First Place – Jason Santos, Jason Converse, Jeff McCarthy, & Matt Rossini
- Second Place – Rich Clegg, Dave Hodgson, Ron Santos, & Don Santos
- Third Place – Bob Johnson, Bobby Joyce, & Eric Turgeon Closest to the Pin – Mike Roccia Longest Drive – Rick Clegg